Xway b2.3 is here

Jeremy Hughes

We've just released Xway b2.3.

This contains a single bug fix:
  • Xway runs on macOS 11 Big Sur
You can download b2.3 from our website (click on "Download the Xway beta now" on the Xway page).

grantsymon

Impressive. :)

Mad Farquhar

Cool. Quick response to the bug chaps / chapesses

Michael M Grant

Downloaded b2.3 tonight and installed on MacOS 10.13.6.
Worked through the tutorial materials.
Xway would neither publish sites or preview pages.
Deleted the app and reinstalled. Same results with no publish or preview.

Jeremy Hughes

Hi Michael,

Xway should run on 10.13.6 (High Sierra), but we haven't tested it on High Sierra recently.

I'll start up an old computer and see what is happening.

I don't have any problems running b2.3 in 10.13.6: previewing and publishing both work fine for me.

What do you see at the bottom of the File menu?

There should be three menu commands:

Publish…

Preview…

Show Site Folder…

Show Site Folder may be disabled if you haven't yet published (there isn't a Site folder yet).

Publish should always be enabled, so long as there is at least one page in the document that isn't set to not publish.

Preview should always be enabled so long as the current page isn't set to not publish.

If Publish or Preview are disabled, check that the Publish checkbox isn't turned off in the Page Inspector. The tutorial suggests that you turn off Publish for the Template page after you've completed it, but it should be turned on for other pages.

Jeremy

Michael M Grant

Hi, Jeremy!
I spent some time searching last night. With the ‘Show Site’ command, I was able to locate the folder where Xway published. But this folder is not visible to my MacOS system. It doesn’t show up in my folder structure at all. Xway can show it to me, but I cannot navigate directly to it.

I believe because the folder is not visible to my system is why it doesn’t preview in browser.

I have the three commands for ‘Publish...’, ‘Preview...’, and ‘Show site...’ at the bottom of File menu.

~michael

Jeremy Hughes

Hi Michael,

The Site folder is inside the document package - but that doesn't matter as far as the browser is concerned. A package is a kind of folder that looks like a single file, but actually contains a number of different files. You can open a package within the Finder by Control- (or Right-) clicking on it and selecting "Show Package Contents". But you should generally be careful about doing this. Xway will republish what is inside the Site folder if you accidentally delete any files that are there, but you can damage the document if you delete files that are anywhere else within the document package.

(Another example of a package is Xway itself. If you select "Xway User Guide" from the Help menu, Xway will open the user guide in Preview.app. You won't find it in the Finder, unless you choose "Show Package Contents", but Preview.app doesn't care.)

When you have the document open in Xway, and you see those three commands at the bottom of the File menu, are they enabled or disabled? If Preview or Publish is disabled, look at the Page Inspector and check to see if the Publish checkbox is turned on. It should be turned off for the Template page, but turned on for other pages. (You can turn it on for the Template page if you want to preview that, but the tutorial suggests that you turn it off after creating it because it's just a template rather than an actual page that you want to publish.)

Jeremy