Text handling

Bert Green

I have been watching Xway as it is in beta and hadn't started building any sites in earnest until now. I just decided to dig in and study the manual in preparation for attempting to make a real site that hopefully someday soon will replace my main business site once Xway is further along.

I came across an issue. In Freeway, I was able to create line break between paragraphs by typing return, but could also create non breaking lines with shift/return, so as to keep short lines together, which I do frequently when listing product descriptions where the text needs to be together but not on the same line.

I can't find a way to do that in Xway. The only break I can seem to make is a full paragraph break. Is this possible, and if not, will it be added later?

Jeremy Hughes

Hi Bert,

We will add this in a future version of Xway, but you can do this using markup items for now:
  1. Choose Markup from the Insert menu
  2. Type "<br>" (without the quotes)
  3. Select the Inline checkbox
  4. OK
You can also copy/paste existing markup items, if you need to add several breaks.
Jeremy

Bert Green

Thanks for that. It will work for now, as the output is what I want, but the preview shows the html element and the text all on the same line. I assume that once the <br> is a feature of Xway that the preview will show the line breaks correctly?

Jeremy Hughes

Yes. Once we support line breaks directly, they will appear in the layout view.

Jeremy

ThatKeith

That will be really good! I'd also like non-breaking spaces to be supported, ideally (from my point of view) typed using the common alt-space keystroke combination.

Jeremy Hughes

Both these requests (line breaks and non-breaking spaces) are now logged in our database.

Jeremy

Peter A-B

Hi Bert,

Have you tried Control/Return? That gives me the line break without the gap between the two.

Peter A-B

Peter A-B

Replying to myself. Control/Return works if the container is set to the width of the whole text but in a large container where the whole of the text can fit on one line then there is no apparent carriage return so my suggestion has limited value. Sorry. We'll have to wait for the implementation.

Peter.

On Thu, 18 Feb 2021 at 08:40, Peter A-B via groups.io <Wessex121=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Bert,

Have you tried Control/Return? That gives me the line break without the gap between the two.

Peter A-B

Jeremy Hughes

I'd also like non-breaking spaces to be supported
Actually, this should be supported already. Option-Space inserts a Unicode non-breaking space, and Xway outputs that.

Jeremy