Migrating to Discourse

Simon Manning

Hi All,

You might see this multiple times if you subscribe to multiple lists but they all say the same, you can safely ignore the duplicates.

Next week we will be migrating our community mailing lists into Discourse. That is all the lists on FreewayTalk and Groups io.

You can find more information about this here:
https://discourse.softpress.com/t/information-for-existing-freewaytalk-groups-io-users/24891

At this time posting is disabled in the imported categories to avoid splitting discussions, however you can sign up for an account and reply to the above topic or create new topics in the Site Feedback category if you have any comments on the migration or Discourse in general.

If you have made posts on the existing mailing lists, please read the Existing Posts and Profile sections of the topic linked above before signing up.

Shortly before starting the final steps of the migration, which we expect to be early afternoon on Tuesday UK time, we will send another notice to say this is happening. After this second notice we will close the existing FreewayTalk and Groups io lists, bring Discourse up to date with the latest posts and then open the imported categories to posting.

All of our links to the mailing lists, including those accessed via the Help menu in our apps, will be updated on our website to point at Discourse.

Simon

grantsymon

Hi Simon,

this looks like a good idea!  😊

I'm a little uncertain how to transition.  My email addresses are different for FW and XWay.   FW is fwtalk@... (it wasn't always this address.. was changed a few years back during my spam fight... which I've won 😎).   XWay is   xwayToo@...  but until not that long ago, it was  xway@....   I changed it after I started receiving spam on it.

Can only 1 address be used, or can they be combined in some way?

Regards,

Grant

On 20 Aug 2021, at 01:52, Simon Manning <simon.manning@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Grant,

You can sign up on Discourse using your latest address and send me a message on this page:

Doesn't need to say much, it's just so I have a quick reference to the account you create. After I finish the migration next week, I'll merge the accounts for you so all the posts will fall under the one you create.

Simon

On Fri, 20 Aug 2021 at 16:29, grantsymon <xwayToo@...> wrote:
[...]

We will be starting the migration to Discourse soon. First we will be suspending access to Discourse while we run a task that will deal with some posts having their content trimmed, followed by a second task that will ensure this additional content does not expose email addresses in the posts.

These tasks will take approximately 2-3 hours to complete, at which point we will lock FreewayTalk and Groups io from receiving any further posts.

After this we will import the latest posts into Discourse, run a final task to ensure those new posts do not expose email addresses and finally reopen access to Discourse. This shouldn't take longer than 30 minutes, likely less.

Simon

Crawford Hart

Discourse tell me an account is required and needs an invitation from an existing member.