GDPR Cookie Management


Richard Cacciato
 

Hi Jeremy, a suggestion: could you "bake in" something that would enable us easily to add the whole "accept cookies" process and manage it in an Xway site? I haven't seen any mention of anything like this and it would be on my wish list. Thanks.


Geoff Mullett
 

Oh! Yes please!


Simon Manning
 

Hi Richard,

I haven't looked into exactly how these things interact but do you primarily want this for third party marketing cookies, e.g. Facebook or Google ads?

From the perspective of managing it in Xway, this could potentially become part of Xway's version of Actions. For instance, a Facebook ad component might specify that it uses cookies and define how they should be dealt with. A Google ad component, or anything else of any nature, would do the same and during publish, Xway could use this collective information to add cookie acceptance to the page(s). (If enabled)

Beyond that, I'm not sure how useful cookie management within Xway would be. Accepting or declining any particular cookies probably requires some technical understanding of the cookies, how they're used and the software (e.g. Wordpress, Google Ads, etc.) using them. This could make for a very complex feature (both in Xway code and user interface) that would be difficult to document and support.

I imagine most Xway sites, outside of those using things like third party marketing, won't be using cookies and so won't require any message for visitors.

Are there any other things you have in mind for cookie usage?

Simon

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 4:54 PM Richard Cacciato <rcacciato@...> wrote:
Hi Jeremy, a suggestion: could you "bake in" something that would enable us easily to add the whole "accept cookies" process and manage it in an Xway site? I haven't seen any mention of anything like this and it would be on my wish list. Thanks.


grantsymon
 

I'm wondering about this too.  I only use statcounter to gather visitor hits info, but I expect this and the google alternative, fall under the EU laws regarding user data??


Walter Lee Davis
 

If you use a cookie-based tracking system, you must disclose that and offer the user a choice. There are tracking systems that do not rely on cookies at all, and simply use an image beacon or similar (recall FreeCounter? ah, those were innocent days) to count visits by only counting the unique (non-cache) requests for a resource. That's not personally identifying information, so there's no need to disclose.

Walter

On Jan 5, 2021, at 11:17 AM, grantsymon <xway@gsymon.com> wrote:

I'm wondering about this too. I only use statcounter to gather visitor hits info, but I expect this and the google alternative, fall under the EU laws regarding user data??


Richard Cacciato
 

Does using Google Analytics require the GDPR "accept cookies" language?
 


Walter Lee Davis
 

I don't think there is any way to use GA without cookies, but I am happy to be proven wrong.

Walter

On Jan 5, 2021, at 12:16 PM, Richard Cacciato <rcacciato@blue-iceberg.com> wrote:

Does using Google Analytics require the GDPR "accept cookies" language?


Gordon Low
 

Within the 'Edit Project Settings' section of StatCounter you can disable the use of cookies (although they recommend against this).

Hope this helps

Gordon