Forum hacked?

grantsymon

Jeremy,

I think the forum's address/database has been hacked.

I use unique email addresses for absolutely everything (a years long battle against spam... which I won!) and I've just received a malware email to my xway forum email address, so it can only have come from this group.  According to the malware, I've been visiting porn sites.  Well... doesn't everyone?

Not a problem for me, as I can change my email in 30secs and never hear from 'Herbert' again.

Grant

Simon Manning

Hi Grant,

Because of the nature of groups.io as a mailing list, any members who receive the messages via email can see the email address of the sender. As such, if the email account of any member is compromised, the email addresses of other members could be retrieved from past emails.

More likely, an account has probably registered on the group for the sole purpose of receiving emails and obtaining the email addresses from them when people post messages.

Simon

On Wed, 7 Apr 2021 at 17:14, grantsymon <xway@...> wrote:
Jeremy,

I think the forum's address/database has been hacked.

I use unique email addresses for absolutely everything (a years long battle against spam... which I won!) and I've just received a malware email to my xway forum email address, so it can only have come from this group.  According to the malware, I've been visiting porn sites.  Well... doesn't everyone?

Not a problem for me, as I can change my email in 30secs and never hear from 'Herbert' again.

Grant

grantsymon

Ahh...

OK, I hadn't thought of that.

So, I'm replying now, online (in the forum) to your post.  I never reply via email.  Will this post be sent out to everyone, as if it were an email from me??

Walter Lee Davis

I just got it with the From: header set to xwayToo.

They are spoofing the headers so that mail clients will work naturally.

Walter

On Apr 7, 2021, at 3:21 PM, grantsymon <xwayToo@gsymon.com> wrote:

Ahh...

OK, I hadn't thought of that.

So, I'm replying now, online (in the forum) to your post. I never reply via email. Will this post be sent out to everyone, as if it were an email from me??

grantsymon

Hey Walter, nice to hear from you. 😊

I just got it with the From: header set to xwayToo
Uuuuhhh... this seems like a reallly bad idea.  Shouldn't emails be sent out from an anonymous 'no-reply' address??

For me, it doesn't matter, because as I described, every company/web thingy that I deal with, gets a unique email address.  However, "waltd@..." just came through.

Richard Cacciato

I’d like to chime in here.

I don’t like the Xway forum platform. I find it difficult to use and not intuitive. Is there any way to add this discussion to the same platform freewaytalk is on? I just find that much easier plus see an advantage in having everything in the same place.

My two cents.

Thanks.

Richard.

Richard Cacciato
Partner

http://linkedin.com/in/rcacciato/

Blue Iceberg
Digital Strategy | Engagement | Results
O:           +1.212.337.9920
M:          +1.646.258.3360

Moving the needle, delivering results.
http://www.blue-iceberg.com

On Apr 7, 2021, at 3:47 PM, grantsymon <xwayToo@...> wrote:

Hey Walter, nice to hear from you. 😊

I just got it with the From: header set to xwayToo
Uuuuhhh... this seems like a reallly bad idea.  Shouldn't emails be sent out from an anonymous 'no-reply' address??

For me, it doesn't matter, because as I described, every company/web thingy that I deal with, gets a unique email address.  However, "waltd@..." just came through.

Jeremy Hughes

We're trying to move away from Freeway Talk because it has become unreliable. Some Freeway Talk messages never appear online, although they might be delivered as emails. Freeway Talk messages also tend to be (wrongly) identified as spam - I regularly have to check my gmail spam folder.

On Wed, Apr 7, 2021 at 08:42 PM, grantsymon wrote:
Uuuuhhh... this seems like a reallly bad idea.  Shouldn't emails be sent out from an anonymous 'no-reply' address??
I don't think iogroups is different from FreewayTalk in this respect. Walter and Simon might be able to comment in more detail.

We went with iogroups because it is free and was already being used for Mac programming discussions. There is a commercial alternative (Discourse) that Apple use for Swift language forums (this does seem to hide email addresses).

Jeremy

grantsymon

There is a commercial alternative (Discourse) that Apple use for Swift language forums (this does seem to hide email addresses).

It looks pretty good.

I couldn't find out if it does indeed hide email addresses, but aside from that, it's free if you install it on your own server.

Good news! Discourse is, and will always be, 100% free and open source software. You may also want to self-host for reasons other than budget, including privacy or full control over the free software that you've installed. Here's how you can install it yourself on your own server.

erbril@cameleonpaint.com

I do so much agree. I don’t visit the mis forum list. Don’t get it.
I would be so happy to see it back as a true forum.
Eugénie

If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail.

Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the contents in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.

Op 7 apr. 2021 om 22:17 heeft Richard Cacciato via groups.io <rcacciato@...> het volgende geschreven:

[...]

ThatKeith

I would be so happy to see it back as a true forum.
Freewaytalk was always a mailing list as well as a forum.