Applying Styles

Bert Green

I've studying the Master Styles functions of Xway and think I may have found a bug; I redefined a few of the styles according to the manual (Paragraph, Heading 1, Heading 2, all the link styles) and when I apply them to text on a page, both Headings and the links correctly apply the new default styles, but the Paragraph style, despite being redefined and appearing in the inspector with the new attributes, does not style the text correctly; it remains in the style that the app had as the original default. If I style it manually and then activate the "Inherit Style" feature, it reverts to the style the app had before I redefined it.

Or am I doing something wrong here?

Also, just as an aside, it would be very helpful to be able to add new styles to the default list, or rename the existing styles, as I would rely extensively on styles in general and would prefer to be able to fully customize them like I could in Freeway.

Walter Lee Davis

The paragraph style is very finicky about how it is applied. If you don't have a complete paragraph selected, it won't apply. Try triple-clicking a word within the paragraph. Note that the selection appears to wrap to the beginning of the next line. There is an invisible character at the end of each paragraph which actually has to be selected, otherwise you are only selecting a span within the paragraph, and a paragraph style may only be applied to paragraphs.

Walter

On Jun 8, 2021, at 6:38 PM, Bert Green <inquiry@bgfa.us> wrote:

[...]

Tried that. Doesn't work.

Bert Green
Bert Green Fine Art
8 S Michigan Ave Suite 620
Chicago IL 60603
312-434-7544

On Jun 8, 2021, at 6:38 PM, Bert Green <inquiry@...> wrote:

[...]

We'll have to wait until tomorrow, when Jeremy points out how wrong I was. Sorry.

Walter

On Jun 8, 2021, at 6:59 PM, Bert Green <inquiry@bgfa.us> wrote:

Tried that. Doesn't work.

Bert Green
Bert Green Fine Art
8 S Michigan Ave Suite 620
Chicago IL 60603
https://bgfa.us
312-434-7544
On Jun 8, 2021, at 5:41 PM, Walter Lee Davis <waltd@wdstudio.com> wrote:
[...]

Or to be more precise, it applies the style, just not the redefined style.

Bert Green

On Jun 8, 2021, at 5:59 PM, Bert Green <inquiry@...> wrote:
[...]

Ah, then here's another trick to try: apply the special No Style "style" first, then the updated Paragraph style.

Walter

On Jun 8, 2021, at 5:59 PM, Bert Green <inquiry@bgfa.us> wrote:
[...]

There is not a “no style” option.

Bert Green

On Jun 8, 2021, at 7:01 PM, Bert Green <inquiry@...> wrote:

[...]

Ah, yes. That was in Freeway, and I was guessing it carried over to Xway.

Walter

On Jun 8, 2021, at 6:02 PM, Walter Lee Davis <waltd@wdstudio.com> wrote:

[...]

Richard Cacciato

I second Walter’s recommendation. That works like a charm in Freeway. Good to know it’s the same in Xway.

Richard.

Richard Cacciato
Partner

http://linkedin.com/in/rcacciato/

Blue Iceberg
Digital Strategy | Engagement | Results
O:           +1.212.337.9920
M:          +1.646.258.3360

Moving the needle, delivering results.
http://www.blue-iceberg.com

On Jun 8, 2021, at 7:02 PM, Walter Lee Davis <waltd@...> wrote:

[...]

Jeremy Hughes

On Tue, Jun 8, 2021 at 11:41 PM, Walter Lee Davis wrote:
The paragraph style is very finicky about how it is applied. If you don't have a complete paragraph selected, it won't apply. Try triple-clicking a word within the paragraph. Note that the selection appears to wrap to the beginning of the next line. There is an invisible character at the end of each paragraph which actually has to be selected, otherwise you are only selecting a span within the paragraph, and a paragraph style may only be applied to paragraphs.
That is true of Freeway, but not Xway. If you have any kind of text selection (including an insertion point), Xway will display the Paragraph Inspector and you can use that to change the paragraph style.

Hi Bert,

One thing to consider is that default styles can be defined at three different levels: document, page, and box. Default page styles will override default document styles, and default box styles will override default page styles. You can also style the actual paragraph. Here is an example:

  1. Create a new document.
  2. Insert a box on the page and type "Hello world" in it
  3. >> "Hello world" is drawn in black
  4. Set a default paragraph style in the Document Inspector: choose Red as the text colour
  5. >> "Hello world" is drawn in red
  6. Set a default paragraph style in the Page Inspector: choose Green as the text colour
  7. >> "Hello world" is drawn in green
  8. Set a default paragraph style in the Box Inspector: choose Blue as the text colour
  9. >> "Hello world" is drawn in blue
  10. Choose Purple as the text colour in the Paragraph Inspector
  11. >> "Hello world" is drawn in purple
  12. Click on "Inherit Style" in the Paragraph Inspector (this is equivalent to Freeway's "No Style")
  13. >> "Hello world" is drawn in blue
  14. Click on "Inherit Default Style" in the Box Inspector
  15. >> "Hello world" is drawn in green
  16. Click on "Use Master Default Style" in the Page Inspector
  17. >> "Hello world" is drawn in red
  18. Click on "Inherit Default Style" in the Document Inspector
  19. >> "Hello world" is drawn in black

If you have some steps that show something different happening, can you post them? The format we use for bug reports is a series of numbered steps, with ">>" showing the result of a previous step or series of steps (as above).

Answering a possible question: Xway shows "Use Master Style" when there is a master element and "Inherit Style" when there isn't a master element. The style is taken from the master element (if there is one) or inherited according to CSS rules (if there isn't a master element). The only master elements that exist in current release versions of Xway are: 1. The document master page, and 2. the pagediv on the document master page (styles for both are set in the Document Inspector). Future versions of Xway will have multiple master pages (and master elements).

Named styles are on our list of things to look at in future.

Jeremy

Bert Green

OK so if I understand this correctly, it is not possible to redefine the Default Style in the document inspector? This is what I am trying to do.

Jeremy Hughes

Edited

You can define a default paragraph style in the Document Inspector, or in the Page Inspector, or in the Box Inspector. Any default style that you define in the Box Inspector will override the corresponding default styles in the Page Inspector and Document Inspector.

The precedence hierarchy is: Paragraph Style > Box Default Paragraph Style > Page Default Paragraph Style > Document Default Paragraph Style

Jeremy

Bert Green

OK thanks, I think I figured it out, I had created secondary pages and went back to the master page to redefine the master styles and they did not apply properly to the other pages, so I deleted all but the primary page, made the changes, and recreated the secondary pages and the styles apply correctly.

Is there any plan to also create character styles like we had in Freeway?

Jeremy Hughes

One point to be aware of is that Xway does not currently have master pages, apart from the document master page (which represents the settings displayed in the Document Inspector). We introduced the idea of template (non-publishing) pages as a temporary workaround, but they're not really master pages. You can create new pages by duplicating a template page, but any changes that you make to the template page after you've done this will not affect the page that you created by duplicating it. We're planning to have actual master pages in the next version of Xway (it's something we're currently working on).

Character styles in Freeway are styles that are applied to spans (text runs) rather than paragraphs - so the equivalent in Xway is any style that is applied via the Span Inspector.

(The Span Inspector is displayed whenever you select some text, or whenever the insertion point is within an existing span.)

We are planning to look at named styles (both paragraph styles and character styles) at some point in the future.

Jeremy

Bert Green

Yeah, I'm figuring that out, so at this point what I'm doing is just getting familiar with working with Xway, I plan to wait for master pages to be full implemented before I start actually publishing my site. Thanks for all the help.