Re: Video tutorials please

Per Olsson

Hi,
I did a simple web page for client some 10-15 years ago, and used Freeway for this. Since then, I´ve only done monthly small updates for the client. When I got to the point that I really needed to update to MacOS Catalina (and maybe Big Sur) I realised that I had to move on. I downloaded a free trial of Everweb and saw that I would have to relearn, and even with all their videos, some reading was important. So, I decided to stick with Xway and see if could get the hang of it. I did the Ambient web page by reading the tutorial for this, and got the important, basic stuff. I then used that start to make a new version of my existing page and I put a couple of days into this. A few glances at  the tutorial and the user guide got me through and I now have an existing new web site, waiting to be approved by my client and to be uploaded with Cyberduck to the web hotel. I did have a lot of tables (that I skipped and used a different method to display things) and also graphics with links to different sites that I couldn´t get to work but besides this I´m happy I took the effort in reading the simple tutorial. My web page is certainly simple, and I am sure many of you need much more out of the program, but I`m happy with it and will stick to Xway. I really look forward to Master pages, tables perhaps and a built-in upload function and of course, videos could an additional help for me and others.

Cheers!

Med vänlig hälsning,

Per Olsson
Berguvsgatan 6, 234 32 Lomma

15 mars 2021 kl. 12:57 skrev Peter A-B <Wessex121@...>:

I teach people to drive. Throughout the teaching profession, whether in my job or classroom teaching, students learn differently. Some may have heard to the V.A.R.K. acronym.

V visual learning
A audio learning
R reading learning
K kinetic learning

You can mix and match or take each heading separately.  We all learn differently:
 one size definitely doesn’t fit all.

On 15 Mar 2021, at 11:38, ThatKeith via groups.io <Thatkeith@...> wrote:

The reference manual for looking up specifics should be the number 1 priority. (Not suggestion it isn't, just noting what's the most critically important.)

When it comes to video tutorials almost every single one takes FAR too long to get to the point. Even if they don't, it's usually a few minutes of something that I could have learned from 20 seconds of reading. Not always but usually.

I use a 360 tour building tool that has no reference manual or even near equivalent. Instead the company has put a lot of time and effort into creating loads of video 'tutorials'. These are, frankly, only one step shy of utterly useless. If they were teamed up with a regular reference manual they'd be fine, but on their own? I know for documented fact that this has and is causing them lost sales. If just one method is used for helping users use software it should NEVER be videos only.