Re: Xway b1 - idea: CSS blank canvas or CSS paint by numbers

Tim Plumb

On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 04:10 AM, Jeremy Hughes wrote:
It’s not a webkit view, but we take it as a compliment that you thought it might be :)
I had hoped the design mode would be 'web based' in some way as one of the things that I felt held Freeway back against competitors that simply implemented a 'web inspector' type view was that however good the design view was it couldn't really cope with code that it didn't understand. In a browser view (webkit or otherwise) all of that interpretation and rendering of the page code is done internally and should be identical to browsers that use the same rendering engine. Freeway (and is sounds Xweb too) had to interpret that page code itself which meant keeping up with the moving market a bit of a struggle for a small company with limited resources.

The page view is good, don't get me wrong, and I'm impressed by how it just feels like the final page but I wonder how we'll be able to keep up when asked to render and edit embedded or extended items.

The Blocs app, just by way of comparison, appears to be a webkit rendering engine that essentially allows users to edit the page code and post processes all of the changes to the code when the site is published. It isn't too dissimilar to a web inspector that tracks changes and then applies those changes on output.